Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Earthquake at Sumatera, tremor at KL

It’s an unscheduled public holiday today, to commemorate the installation of new King of Malaysia. I’m glad that it falls on a Wednesday, so that I can have a little breather during the mid week.

I was just chilling at home the whole afternoon, after my long bike ride in the morning. Taking advantage of the unusual quiet surrounding normally intruded by the stupid construction work opposite my apartment, even on Saturdays.

At about late afternoon, I suddenly came across many wall messages on Facebook regarding the strong tremor felt at Penang, and certain parts at KL. Apparently an initial reported 8.9 magnitude earthquake has occurred earlier at the west of northern Sumatera, Indonesia. I was spared from feeling the tremor at home. I spent the next 1 hour just reading the latest update and news development.

Abruptly, I could felt a tremor in my own apartment unit for a short span of time. It was kinda scary. Little did I know, there was actually an aftershock that just happened shortly before that. The aftershock was measured at 8.2 magnitude. Considered to be a damaging scale.

The earthquake happened near where the pervious earthquake in 2004 Boxing day, that had killed nearly 300,000 people across many countries around Indian ocean and Andaman Sea. Tsunami warning has been sent out and many residents affected by the last tsunami across different countries have moved to higher ground, especially those at Banda Acheh, Sumatera.

On the other hand, the latest news has indicated that the tsunami warning has been cancelled. Thank God for His mercy!

“[Updated at 9:04 a.m. ET] The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has cancelled its tsunami watch in the Indian Ocean.

"Sea level readings now indicate that the threat had diminished or is over for most areas," the center said.”

Source: CNN

No comments: