Thursday, March 29, 2012

Appreciating my family root

It’s that time of the year again, where in Chinese culture, we go to visit our deceased family member’s grave to pay homage and to remember out root. Or better known as 清明节.

My parents always thought me that although being a Christian, we’re not supposed to pray to our ancestors, but we should always come back to visit my grandparents’ grave to appreciate our family roots. That’s one of the many the good things from Chinese culture that we should preserve.

The first stop is my mom’s side of grandfather’s grave, at Penang. Things have changed a lot since the day I can remember I first coming to visit the grave. It used to be my whole family affair. My still living grandmother,  Auntie, mom, dad, my siblings and I. Now, it’s just me and my parents. The grave’s terrain can be a bit challenging for my grandmother to visit now.

After we’ve done cleaning the grave, We did the usual thing of laying down the flowers and coloured papers to tells others that this grave has been visited by the deceased family members.

P3290060

It’s such time that I always get to learn more about how my grandfather was like in person.

Although my grandfather from my mom’s side has passed away since before i was born, or when my mom was still schooling … to be exact, I’m thankful for him to had brought my mom to this world!

 

No comments: